These are common phrases used by some Insurance Companies when you select a shop that is not on their "List", and what our response is.
1. "They are not one of our network shops and they are not on our list, we can't guarantee the repairs"
All reputable Body Shops offer lifetime Warranty/Guarantee as long as you own the vehicle.
2. "If you use them, we can't get an adjuster out for several days, if you take it to our network shop we will have someone start on it right away"
This is just another ploy to steer you, most insurance companies are required to send adjusters out within 24 to 48 hours. If you are the claimant or have rental coverage on your own policy, they are required to pay for your rental expenses in the interim.
3. "If you use that shop you will have to pay for your rental out of pocket"
This is not true, but some insurance companies will try to force you into a rental reimbursement, which means they will either try to get you to pay with a credit card and then reimburse you, or offer to send check for x amount of rental days(which you should promptly refuse to do) . Most companies have direct bill agreements with rental companies, but they do not always disclose that. Always remember as a claimant against a company, that you also have specific rights that a policyholder may not have.
4. "If they charge more than the prevailing rate, you will have to pay the difference in repair cost"
All reputable Body shops are fully aware of prevailing rates and rarely is there an issue.
5. "Claims take longer to settle if you use them"
Only on rare occasions. The only thing that takes longer is they are sometimes slow to respond and they do not pay as quickly as they pay their preferred providers.
These are just a few of the word tracks used to manipulate the customer into using a specific repair facility. Be careful it's your vehicle, your investment; you have the right to make the choice on who repairs your vehicle.